Recipe provided by AllRecipes.com
Chef John's Chocolate Lava Cake
Individual molten chocolate cakes are easy to make--and will impress any dinner guest!
- butter as needed
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3½ ounces chopped dark chocolate
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 0.125 teaspoon vanilla extract
Save to Recipe BookPrintEmail
Note: An Instacart account is required to proceed to purchase online. If you do not have an Instacart account please click here to create. Once account has been created, you can return to this page to complete the checkout.
Prep:5 mCook:25 mReady:1 h 15 m
- Generously butter the inside of 4 (5 1/2 ounce) ramekins. Place them in a casserole dish.
- Whisk together egg yolks, eggs, and sugar in a bowl until light, foamy, and lemon colored.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring after each melting, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Stir melted chocolate mixture into egg and sugar mixture until combined.
- Sift cocoa powder into the mixture; stir to combine.
- Sift flour and salt into the mixture; stir to combine into a batter.
- Stir vanilla extract into the batter.
- Transfer batter to a resealable plastic bag. Snip one corner of the bag with scissors to create a tip.
- Divide batter evenly between the prepared ramekins; tap gently on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Arrange the ramekins in a casserole dish. Pour enough hot tap water into the casserole dish to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake in the preheated over for 15-18 minutes. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Loosen the edges from the ramekin with a knife. Invert each cake onto a plate and dust with powdered sugar.