Recipe provided by AllRecipes.com
Green Enchilada Pork Chili
A delicious, Mexican-inspired green pork chili. When garnished with fresh tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, and tortilla chips this is a hearty meal with a tangy and spicy finish.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (28 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (7 ounce) can green salsa
- 1 quart water
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ lime, juiced
Prep:15 mCook:45 mReady:1 h
- In a 4 quart pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the jalapenos and saute for 1 minute. Stir in the ground pork and cook until evenly brown. Remove the browned pork and jalapenos from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot used to cook the meat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, butter, and onion. Cook for 2 minutes or until the onion starts to soften. Stir in the salt, cumin, paprika, cayenne, and black pepper and cook until the onion is soft. Mix in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to low. Sprinkle the flour over the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for three minutes. Slowly pour the enchilada sauce into the onion mixture, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Mix in the green salsa and water.
- Return the cooked pork and jalapenos to the pot. Increase the heat to medium and slowly bring the soup to a boil. When the soup boils, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Before serving remove from heat and stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice.