Blueberries are at the peak of freshness in July. Which means it’s time to stock up on this antioxidant-packed fruit. Whether you are picking them up at your local grocer or picking berries from your backyard it’s time to find different ways to use this power food. Blueberries are low in calories but full of vitamin K, vitamin C, fiber, and magnesium. Berries certainly go great in pancakes, sweetbreads, and cobbler, but here are 5 unique ways to use fresh blueberries.
- Berries pair well with leafy greens in a salad. Toss blueberries in with crisp leafy greens or cabbage for a delicious salad or slaw.
- Make blueberry shortcake. Many people think of strawberries when it comes to shortcake, but blueberries make a tart and delightful combination with shortcake.
- Add frozen blueberries to your favorite summer beverage. Whether it’s water, lemonade, a smoothie or wine, fresh frozen berries add a refreshing twist to anything.
- Make a dressing or marinade. Berries can be blended into barbecue sauce or a homemade vinaigrette for a tangy addition to chicken or a green salad.
- Blueberries and goat cheese. Much like peanut butter and jelly, blueberries and goat cheese pair beautifully. Add them to a sandwich or serve them united in a cheese log as an appetizer.
The post Unique Ways to Use Blueberries appeared first on Clearly Brand.